Building a home will be the most expensive and complex project you are likely ever to be involved in. The only way to make sure that you have chosen wisely is to be prepared and conduct enough research to be knowledgeable on the housing market in your area and the builders that you will be contacting. In order to choose the right home builder make sure to take in the following advice as not all home builders are the same.
Basic market research
Now that you have decided to build a home, contracting a home builder should include a proper vetting procedure. Part of this procedure should include understanding the local housing and building markets. One of the best places start is to contact your home builders association in your area or a national building association. These associations can provide qualified, certified professional home builders to start your search. Follow this up by looking at current real estate advertising to assess active builders and pricing guidelines for similar houses that you intend build. Lastly reach out to friends, family and known real estate agents for referrals. By the end of this process you should have a basic understanding of the current housing market and the top builders in your area. Starting with 10 to 15 builders will give you enough prospects to narrow down your choices.
In order to assess builders in your area to meet your specific needs they should be willing to sit down with you and answer your questions. This provides you with a basic assessment if the builders can your needs.
Ask the following questions:
– How many years have you been in business? How many homes have you built?
– Are you licensed and insured?
– How do you compare to other builds and what are the best features of your homes?
– What type of warranty do you offer?
– Do you have model homes or references that I can contact?
– Do your homes meet the six star energy rating qualifications?
– Can you custom build homes or change current designs to meet my specifications?
– What are the standard features of your homes and what are available upgrades?
– Who will oversee the construction of my home and who is the direct contact for me?
– What is the process for making changes before or during construction?
– How and when will the final price for the home be determined?
– How often will I have access to the home during construction?
– How long will the build process take?
– Are you a specialty home builder or a mass producer?
An experienced builder will be able to answer all of the questions easily and quickly. If the builder vacillates on any of these questions they may not be the right choice. One of the most important aspects of home building is receiving value for quality not building the absolute cheapest structure possible.
By following these tips and asking the right questions the largest project will get off on the right foot with the right builder. By having an in-depth interview it will give you the peace of mind to move forward and even if issues or concerns arise they will be expertly handled.